Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Carlos

New York City, 
1909 


The Carlos was an Italian restaurant at 25 West 24th Street in New York. Located a half block from Madison Square, between 5th and 6th Avenues, it was near the Hudson Tube Station where trains arrived from New Jersey. The above postcard from about 1912 points to the station in the distance, promoting the restaurant to Jerseyites by claiming it was “free from mosquitoes.”1 The comic scene is a bit confusing, showing a cityscape on the left and a railroad platform in New Jersey on the right, where swarms of mosquitoes can be seen harassing commuters waiting on the platform. In reality, the Carlos faced the drab façade of a building across the street that hid Stanford White’s love nest. (The famed architect rented the second and third floors for his trysts, fitting the rooms with mirrored walls, a canopy bed, and a red velvet swing.2